Wednesday, September 30, 2009

an eye opening day

well this isn't my regular kind of blog post... i'm not announcing some exciting promotion or images from a successful session...


i've had an interesting week to say the least regarding my own health.  yesterday i was in quite a bit of pain after having a biopsy on my leg.  sulking in my own pitiful moment i decided to have lunch with my hubby before i headed home to lay down and elevate my leg.


just before i reached my honey i received an unexpected phone call from the area coordinator for an organization called Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep.  she informed me of a family in need of my services.


immediately i forgot my own pain and my thoughts turned to this family that was dealing with so much more than a little pain on their leg.  this young couple had just given birth to twins, a boy and a girl, but their precious daughter had unexpectedly gone to be with Jesus.


as quickly as i could i hobbled my way up to the NICU at UT Hospital.  the moment i stepped into the family's room all my pains were forgotten.

i met the parents, grandparents, and other close relatives.  it was obvious this family was dealing with a lot of grief.  the grandmother was holding this precious baby girl and fighting back the tears.


i sat down and talked to the family for a few minutes, introducing myself and letting them know what to expect from me.  we soon began our own little portrait session, including all the family members and even hospital staff.


i feel so honored that i could be a small part in this family's day of both joy and grief.  the family was incredibly thankful and the nurses were so sweet and helpful.  i was able to capture some truly intimate images that this family will be able to treasure forever.


days like this really remind you of what's important in life.


suzanne brewer
{ b real photo }


p.s. - learn about Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep and help support them by visiting {here}





No comments: